Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring on the Farm

What a difference a week makes. A week ago we had just survived three inches of rain and half an inch of hail. This week has been warm and sunny.You can see it in the fields; not only are the crops growing but the tractors are out and working. Cotton beds are being worked and planted. Tomatoes are being planted. Everybody is Go, Go, Go.
When I ask a fellow almond grower, "How are your nuts?" it sometimes raises an eyebrow. I am not trying to get personal. I am asking about their crop.
    Can you see how fast the nuts have grow in the photo above? A month ago these nuts were pinpoints inside those beautiful blooms. They are growing fast.
    Of course the trees are shedding also. Nature is so abundantly fertile she puts a lot more blossoms on the trees than the tree can ever hold on and produce as full size nuts. So there is a natural shedding process. It gives me a heart attack when I see it since I don't know how much of the shed is natural and OK, and how much of the shed is caused by bad weather or bad management. We won't know the answer to that question until the end of the season and we harvest.


As you can see the wheat is heading out. It is a beautiful sight. The next two weeks we will plant the corn and the cotton, then we'll water the wheat one more time. Then the wheat will dry down in May and June and we'll harvest the end of June or beginning of July.
     If you look carefully at the next picture you will see a lady bug. The field is full of lady bugs. I love them because they eat bad bugs. I haven't seen any bad bugs so I don't know what they are eating but it is always a pleasure to see them. To me seeing good bugs is the sign of a healthy field, it tells me the natural system is in balance. I'd much rather have the lady bugs patrolling the field and taking care of the bad bugs than me either spraying or squishing bugs with a couple of boards.
I hope you all have a great week.
We'll be busy making the most of the sunny days.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment