Saturday, May 19, 2012

Another Busy Spring Week...

There is always something to do on the farm, but Spring days are especially busy. We finished watering the wheat...finally. Make a note- finish earlier next year. The cotton is fertilized. The almonds got another drink of water. This next week we will spray weeds in the cotton and the almonds. We'll also start furrow out the cotton ground. First irrigation is right around the corner.
   Every morning the dogs take me for a walk. It's the one form of exercise that will get done-rain or shine, home or away. I have jogged and ridden my bicycle. There was a clumsy end to my racquet ball playing days. But, walking gets done. On days when I think I'm too busy to walk, Indy has another opinion about the issue. His enthusiasm about his walks is contagious. So, of we go... Actually he runs and I walk. Eventually he comes back hoping for a biscuit.
   This time of year he just can't understand why I won't let him in the house after he has taken his morning swim in the canal. Honestly, would you let a 110 pound sponge in your office? Can you explain it to him? If I am home, he sits outside my office door, dripping wet and giving me big puppy dog eyes. Seriously. One morning this week he wanted to go for a pickup ride-dripping wet. Then he leaned with all his might into my right shoulder for the first few minutes. Now I was soaking wet, and I didn't even go swimming. Good thing I love that boy.
   I would post a picture of him on a walk, but all you would see is a blur as he races across the field nose down and tail up sniffing to smell what has changed since yesterday morning. When he scents a rabbit or coyote it is off to the races. One of the funniest things I ever saw was when he was a puppy running through an alfalfa field. The alfalfa was taller than Indy, so all I would see was him broaching above the sea of green like a floppy eared dolphin.
   Even on the hottest summer days the morning air is fresh and cool. This time of year is gorgeous as the vineyards come to life. The early morning light through the grape leaves is glorious. The leaves just glow. It's a nice way to start he day.

I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment