Sunday, August 26, 2012

Indy's Birthday

By now most of you have met my dog Indy. Today is Indy's third birthday, that is 21 in dog years.
He's the best dog I have ever had. He cracks me up every day.
He's good for my health. He is very insistent about our daily walks. It is pretty hard to skip a walk when you have a hundred and ten pounds of bouncing puppy dog thinking it is W-A-L-K time.

   Is that one relaxed puppy dog, or what? When he is really happy every molecule of his body is spread out as far as possible. He is a Zen Master, or at least a NAP Master.

   It's hard to explain the sense of contentment for Indy and I when I am working in my office and he is sleeping at my feet. I don't think cat people get to experience anything like that.

   We have been everywhere together. Not only does he come to the ranch with me [when he wants], we have gone hiking and even to Shakespeare in the Park. The folks at church probably remember when I brought him one Sunday when I was preaching. [I still think there is a pretty strong parallel between God's unconditional love for us and Indy's unconditional love for me.]

   I didn't have a pickup dog for twenty years. It was time and I couldn't have asked for a better furry friend.
Thanks Big Guy! Many happy returns on your big day.

Meanwhile-back on the farm:
   This will be the last week of irrigation on the cotton. Next week we'll pick up all the irrigation equipment and head for the shop. Time to go through all the equipment and fix all the dings from the season.
   We got one orchard ready to sweep up almonds and the other field ready for shaking.
I was really struck this week with how much is going on in farm country. There are crews, harvesting equipment and trucks everywhere. Almonds, grapes, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, and onions are being harvested...and that's just in my neighborhood. Busy times. Fortunately the weather is cooling off a little. Much more civilized.

You can find this week's radio pieces at-
http://www.940kyno.com/index.php?c=68

I hope Y'all have a a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment