Saturday, January 5, 2013

Scarf Weather

Well, it has been kind of cold lately---for California.
This is the vineyard where I walk the dogs every morning. It has its own beauty.
     The wheat had been growing before Christmas, of course there was no real frost before Christmas. It's gotten a little colder and the wheat is fine, but it has not been growing as quickly lately.
   Of course, we have had some rain and snow. That is always appreciated this time of year. Without rain and snow now it will get very lonely out on the farm next summer.
   We have been celebrating the holidays with friends and family. We try to make the most of the Twelve Days of Christmas. Monday it will be time to go back to work. For now, we have one more weekend.

   I'll leave you with one of my radio bits for this week.


Scarf Weather
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright December 2012
                I know many of you hate the cold and fog and I can sympathize.
            But, I really look forward to what Sheryl and I call scarf weather. By the end of summer I feel I have sweat enough---for a life time. I enjoy putting on a warm sweater, scarf and coat then heading out because it’s a lot easier for me to warm up in winter than it is to cool off in summer.
            While irrigating can be cold work this time of year, I am glad we prune in the winter. It doesn’t take long to warm up even on a cold January morning when you are on the working end of a pruning saw. Winter is good welding weather too. I saved up building my corral as a winter project. Now that was a good idea.
            I know some of you suffer through the fog and get the blues when we haven’t seen the sun for a while. I really am sorry about that. But, summer will be back soon. For the moment I am going to enjoy the cold weather, the hot cider and all the things that make winter a pleasure.

I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment