Saturday, February 23, 2013

Almond Bloom is Beginning!


   The little almond blossoms are just starting to pop out. I am sorry this is not a great picture. It is a little hard to keep the image sharp in twenty mile an hour winds. That just illustrates one of our challenges at this point in time. 
    Do you think the bees are flying in twenty mile an hour winds?

   The good news is the forecast for the next week looks pretty good- warmer, sunny and calm. I couldn't ask for more.

   We finished irrigating the wheat this week. It looks really happy after some water and fertilizer. It is lush and green.
   The oats are coming out of the ground. that took a while. I was starting to worry.

Here's a link to another video clip. This was done last year by the California Forward folks who were campaigning for Proposition 31.

Here's one of this week's radio pieces-


Success is not a 9-5 Proposition
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright January 2013
                I know farmers aren’t the only ones to work long, hard hours. In fact long, hard hours seem to be one of the main ingredients for success.
            I sometimes see people who punch in late and leave early envying those who have stuff they want. They can’t seem to understand there is a connection with extra effort and the rewards of success.
            I couldn’t succeed in school if I was goofing off all the time, and that doesn’t work in the work world either. Sure, physicians make a lot of money, but they have to go through six or eight years of school—after college to get to that point.
            My point is, success is not a 9-5 proposition. There are no guarantees that hard work will pay off. I have seen a whole seasons work get washed away in one afternoon’s rainstorm. But, there is an old saying that luck seems to favor those who are prepared. There’s truth to that.
            If I tried to limit all my effort to an eight hour day I would never get anywhere.  Farming and life take everything we’ve got.

I hope Y'all have a great week.



No comments:

Post a Comment