Saturday, March 30, 2013

Happy Wheat! Happy Easter!

   The wheat has begun to head out. You can see a lady bug there.It's always nice to see the good bugs. I haven't seen any aphids, but that is not important as long as the lady bugs are on duty.
   We began water and fertilizer on the wheat. It has perked up quickly. We have also been killing weeds in the almond orchards. Other than that we have been waiting to plant cotton. Ruben finished rebuilding the transmission on the old tractor. We'll put it in the field next week when, and if we plant.
   The weather is a little unsettled. Conditions have been fabulous this week. Now we are waiting for a storm to pass. There is more rain and cooler temperatures due the end of the week. For now, the cotton seed is safe in the sack where it belongs. We are going to celebrate Easter and see what conditions are like on Monday.

    Since many of you are cooking for family gatherings this weekend I thought I would share a piece I wrote on cooking.


My Joy of Cooking
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright February 2013
               My family knows I love to cook. One time when we were talking about food, my mother-in-law asked when I became interested in cooking.  I have two reasons.
            First, I believe if you eat you should have an interest in cooking. It’s that old farmer ethic of learning to do for your self. I am pretty sure the world is not here to wait on me hand and foot, and I am OK with that. There is also the deep satisfaction of learning to do things.
            Second, some of you know I had issues and eventually had my esophagus taken out. I couldn’t eat for so long that now that I can eat I want to enjoy each mouthful.
            For me, cooking is not a duty- it is a joy. Cooking is a pleasure and a creative outlet. There is something primal about handling food, that’s the pleasure side. And, there is the challenge of creating a meal that is tasty, easy to prepare and good for me. That is definitely a creative challenge.
            I have long said we have become disconnected from our food supply since so few of us farm anymore. We have also become disconnected from our food since we make cooking a duty instead of the joy it can be.

Happy Easter Everyone!
Peace on Earth. Good food for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment