Thursday, June 20, 2013

Now that looks pretty! Early cotton blooms.

   This is the second time in thirty years I have had cotton blooms before the 4th of July! It has been a beautiful Spring. Not too hot, just steady warm days. We finished our first irrigation a few weeks ago. We did have to spray for bugs. [Last year was unusual, we never did have to spray.] That is not good. We are getting ready to start another irrigation on Monday.
   I had a superstitious Puerto Rican grandmother so I don't want to get too far ahead here, there is still plenty of time to screw up. But, we are off to a good start.
   Wheat harvest begins this week. That is earlier than recent years also. 

 I Hate No-Win Scenarios
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright June 2013
               Like Capt. Kirk I hate the No-Win Scenario. Star Trek fans will remember the Kobayahsi Maru where Kirk beat the by re-programming the computer.
Well, I get tests like that all the time on the farm. I have to make choices with incomplete information. When do I plant the cotton? I won’t know the right answer until weeks afterward because the answer depends on the weather after planting. When should I irrigate? The weather could get hotter or colder after I irrigate, and that will make all the difference. Do I sell my crop now? Or, wait and hope prices will go up later? I frequently have to make decisions that are based on conditions that are out of my hands and I will have no way of knowing if those decisions are right or wrong until later on, but waiting is not an option.
Again, like Capt. Kirk, I hate the no win situations.  But, I face these kinds of decisions all the time. I just have to face the fact that I must make decisions with incomplete information. I also know this not unique to farming. Many of you face these kinds of decisions every day.

I hope you all have a great week!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment