Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sparky

     I don't know about you, but I am glad the heat has backed off. You know it has been hot when 100F seems cooler. I went out on the bike Saturday morning and the air was deliciously cool.

     The crops have survived the heat. We finished the second irrigation of the cotton this past week. So far, so good. We already have bolls the size of my thumb. I pulled petioles and sent them to the lab. IF we need more fertilizer we can put it in the next irrigation. From now until the end of August we just want to keep the cotton happy, watered and fed.
   The trees stressed a bit in the heat. Harvest is less than a month away. We are going to start preparing the fields this week so we are ready when it comes time to shake.
   We got wheat yields back finally. We were off a bit from our average.

     I hope you haven't met Sparky, but I suspect you have. I didn't want you to think you were the only one driven crazy by Sparky and his family.

Sparky
By Paul H. Betancourt
July 2013
               My younger sister, Jesi, introduced me to Sparky. In exasperation one day she sighed, “Really Sparky?”
               You’ve met Sparky, or at least one of his relatives. How about when someone cuts in front of you when driving, goes a few blocks slowly then turns off. Really Sparky? Couldn’t you wait until I had gone by? There was no one behind me.
               A neighbor had a used sofa tossed off by the side of the road next to one of his fields. George didn’t want to be the one to haul this unexpected trash to the dump, so he put a sign on it, “Free sofa.” No one touched it. After a few days he put a new sign on the sofa, “For sale $25.” It was gone the next night. Really Sparky?
               Sparky is that clueless guy who’s lack of common sense or concern for others staggers the imagination. We have all met Sparky at one time or another. The one that gets Sheryl is the guy at Costco who pays for three hundred dollars of goods with single dollar bills while there is a long line behind him. Really Sparky?

               We have all met Sparky at one time or another. If you haven’t met Sparky yet, I’m sure you will soon.

PS-I;m sorry there is no picture this week. I couldn't figure out how to take a picture of Sparky.

No comments:

Post a Comment