Saturday, September 28, 2013

Opening Up

Recent winds have sure helped knock the leaves off the cotton. It's looking pretty good.
Now if we can only have some patience and let those top bolls open...

In the meantime we finished servicing the pickers. We have to replace the chains on one module builder and finish servicing the tractors. Then we will be ready. We've only got two weeks so we gotta keep at it.
   In addition to servicing the equipment we went to a harvest safety training meeting last week and we will go to another one this coming week. The whole crop isn't worth losing one finger.

Here's a recently recorded radio script. It should be on the air in the coming weeks.


I Don’t Think This is Progress
By Paul H. Betancourt
October 2013
                  The old timers will tell you that a generation ago they didn’t even lock their homes out in the country. Why I mention this is we had our mail stolen last month. Now we are thinking of getting a locking mailbox. Not only will it be a pain in the rear getting a key out every day to get the mail, but I am struck by the irony that Sheryl’s grandparents didn’t have to lock their house and now I have to lock my mail box. I don’t think this is progress.
            This isn’t the first time either. Some punk was smashing mailboxes with a baseball bat ten years ago and I had to armor up the mail box then.
            I know you have probably had something like this happen in our neighborhood. Since the time of the hippies we have talked a lot about social progress, but when the governor is letting car thieves out of jail and I have to lock my mail box-  I don’t think that I progress.

I hope Y'all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment