Saturday, September 20, 2014

Now That's an Ice Cream Sunday!

   Today I rode down to Superior Dairy in Hanford with my friend Donovan. We had a great time. In the photo is a regular ice cream sundae. Mine was maple nut with caramel. I mention 'regular' because I couldn't finish mine and Donovan got the large. They were huge and fabulous.
   There is great food all over the Valley. As I mention below, people from all over the world brought their cookbooks when they came  to the Valley. We have great ethnic food scattered all over the Valley. 
    I know dairy isn't ethnic, but Hanford is in center of dairy country in Kings and Tulare Counties. So, a place specializing in world class sundaes and milk shakes make sense. 

If you know where to look, you can find some fabulous meals. 


San Joaquin Cuisine
by Paul H. Betancourt
copyright, 2011

Last summer I drove my son’s truck cross country and had to drive through four states to find a piece of fresh fruit. I only found that fruit after I crossed the border back into California. We can do better than that. We need to teach about the San Joaquin Valley Diet featuring all our fruits and vegetables and our fabulous ethnic foods.

Not only do we grow hundreds of fruits and vegetables here in the Valley we also have dozens of ethnic groups that all brought their foods and cooking styles.

Wouldn’t a diet of all our fruits, vegetables and ethnic foods be tasty and good for us? My mouth is watering already.

There is more to California cuisine than Mexican or vegetarian food. I have eaten with my Punjabi neighbors and that was fabulous. A friend from the Philippines made dinner for us one night and I stuffed myself silly it was so good.


We should be a global center for nutrition. We grow the food here. We should be world leaders in food and nutrition education.

The above is one of the pieces from my book, "This Week on the Farm." Available on Amazon.com and soon to be in a bookstore near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment