Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

   Even pomegranates have Fall colors. I never noticed that before. Fall is definitely in the air. It's hard to remember that it was 90 degrees last month while we picked cotton.

   The cotton ground has all been worked. The wheat is in and coming up already. We hope to have it all watered before we break for Christmas. 
   The onion beds are furrowed out. We won't plant until February, but we are getting things ready now. I guess February is going to be busy. We will plant trees behind our house and get the onions planted, along with everything else we do.

   I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. We went to Phoenix to visit our son, Jonathan. We had a great time. We had a nice ride and a good meal. We got silly like only family can.

We even got Sheryl on my bike, but there is no photographic proof of that.

   The disturbing news this Thanksgiving is apparently now there are Black Friday sales in in Europe. 

http://www.thelocal.se/20141128/swedish-firms-embrace-black-friday-concept

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/28/367201481/americas-black-friday-craziness-has-crossed-the-pond?sc=17&f=1001&utm_source=iosnewsapp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=app

    I'm not sure this is our finest moment. Some folks are worried about proselytizing religions. We had a national debate ten years ago about whether we can share democracy. And here we are shipping our worst crazy materialism overseas. The day after we give thanks for what we have, we go into a shopping frenzy for more. Is it just me??? 

    I'm pretty cheap. Making a buck is hard in my line of work and I like a good deal. But, a wise man said there is a time for everything. This is a time for me to stop, give thanks, and catch up with friends and family after the harvest rush. If shopping is your thing, ,y hat is off to you. For me, this is a time for family, friends and some good food. Oh, and of course, to give thanks. We have much to be thankful for, and Someone to be thankful to. This is the kind of holiday that puts things into perspective for me.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving
and I hope you have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment