Saturday, December 13, 2014

Remember When the President said...?

We got a good soaking this week. I have had over 2.7 inches this season. We only had 3.3 all of last year. Things could change, but we are off to a good start. 


   Do you remember last February when President Obama came to the Valley? He said the drought was caused by climate change, shrugged his shoulders and flew off to Palm Springs to play golf with the King of Jordan. The President gave the King a billion dollars in aid while we, the tax payers, were left to twist in the wind.

   The National Oceanic and Atmospheric  Administration, NOAA, caught something I hadn't noticed. A NOAA report this week says our current drought is not caused by climate change. It was caused by a La Nina weather pattern. 
   The NOAA report builds on another report. In September, "the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, which found no conclusive evidence linking human-caused climate 

change and the California drought."

 (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2014/20141208_californiadrought.html)

   In the past advocates claimed that under climate change California will actually get more rain, not less. I remember reading those reports and never put two and two together.

   In my book, Ten Reasons: Finding Balance On Environmental Issues I make the point that liberals politicize everything. The example I use is when the President Obama promised his daughters an dog and that promise set off a national debate about rescue dogs, pure bred dogs, etc. It was a promise from a father to his daughters. Even the Mafia leaves your kids alone. My point was, if they will politicize a pet dog, they will politicize just about anything. I think climate change may another of those issues and the NOAA report supports my position.
   If you want me to care for the environment, I'm in. You don't have to scare me with the boogey man, or threats of global catastrophe. Let's stick to the facts and a little common sense when we make public policy. 

A reminder-If you are looking for Christmas gift ideas, my books "Ten Reasons: Finding Balance on Environmental Issues" and "This Week on the Farm" are available at the Clovis Book Barn and online at Amazon.com. They fit well in Christmas stockings.
[Yes, that was a little shameless self-promotion. But, as I tell people, if you don't toot your own horn, no one will toot it for you.]

I hope you all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment