Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Death of Common Sense


I wish I could tell you how pretty this is to me as a farmer, watching the cotton pop up in rows. We worry and pray during planting seasons because we really only have one shot. Sure, we can replant if there are problems, but it would never be the same. Getting a good start is critical to making a good crop. There are so many variables, so many things that can go wrong that are out of my hands. This view is the morning after the recent rain and hail storms passed. Rain is no problem, but just a little bit of hail can crush seedlings at this tender stage. So, it is really nice to see them happy and strong.

This week I had another ‘Death of Common Sense’ experience.
Paul H. Betancourt
May 2015

We are trying to put solar on our home. As part of the permit process the County found out I have a cargo container in back of the house. We put is out there years ago when I got tired of the garage being cluttered with farm tools and supplies. There is no water or electricity to it. The county says we need a permit AND we have to make it EARTH QUAKE PROOF. Take a look at the picture. It is eight feet high and eight feet wide. Any earthquake that rolls that over will leave California about six inches tall.

            Not only do I have to make it earth quake proof, which will take about a half a day and four sacks of cement, I have to install a ‘man door.” I don’t really object to the man door. That would be handy. I have just been too cheap to do it for my convenience. Yes, I really am that cheap. What got me was there is an exemption for the ‘man door.’ Take a look.


Can you see where it says there is an exemption if your door does not close automatically and you have ventilation? Well, our door does not lock automatically and it does have the appropriate ventilation. When I brought that up all they could say was, “it has to open from the inside.” OK, that makes sense. But, their paper work does not say that. It says, ‘automatically lock .’ They just dug in their heels.  SMH. I keep telling Sheryl I come from that funny world where words mean things. Apparently the permit department does not come from there.

I’ll put in the door, dig the footings and jump through all the hoops. But, can you see why we get a little cynical and skeptical about the system? I was prepared to go down and pay a permit fee and be cheesed off about that. Now I have to spend a few hundred dollars and at least a half day’s worth of work to no real end.


Phillip Howard wrote a book years ago titled, “The Death of Common Sense.” He illustrates case after case like this. My favorite was when New York City drove Mother Teresa out of town because they insisted she put an elevator in a building that would never get used. The nuns would use the stairs and the clients would never go upstairs. New York City insisted on the elevator. Mother Teresa wouldn’t waste the money and she left. Don’t you think New York would rather have the Sisters of Charity doing their good works for the poor rather than have us tell this story decades later?

OK, rant over. I hope you all have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment