Sunday, June 7, 2015

A Road Trip to Idaho: Pioneer Spirit

Took a road trip up to Idaho this past week to visit old friends and meet new ones. I was really impressed with agriculture in Idaho. In the midwest you can drive through five states and only see three crops, corn, wheat and soybeans. Idaho farmers are busy growing everything. I rode by mint fields and they smell great. There were miles and miles of hops. I visited an onion operation run by a family that has been there over a hundred years. Those guys blew me away. They know onions from seed to market. Wow. 
 
Idaho is full of can-do pioneer spirit. In fact on the road there I crossed trails with the old Pony Express trail, the California Trail, Lewis and Clark and the Oregon Trail. All that history reminded me about some radio pieces I did a few years ago about Pioneer Spirit that I thought I would share with you.

Pioneer Spirit
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright February 2013

            Can you imagine the heroes in John Wayne movies if they saw what is happening in the country today?
            My hat’s off to those of you who still have that can do, pioneer spirit. This country was built, at least in the West, by those who faced enormous problems and made a go of it.
            Can you imagine a John Wayne character going to the government after problems with a cattle drive?
            Yes, I know life isn’t like a movie. Got it. That’s just an illustration. What I want to commend is the pioneer, ‘can do’ spirit that built this country. Yes, I understand all the criticisms of Manifest Destiny, etc.  I am not addressing that. I am saying there is an enormous, qualitative difference between the people who built this country and us today. In that comparison I’m not sure we look all that good.
The immigrants who came to this country in the 19th Century faced tremendous hurdles just getting here. Can you imagine putting all your worldly belongings on a boat and sailing for nine weeks just to cross the Atlantic? That was only the beginning of the trip. Then they had to load up and start walking across the country. I’m tired thinking about it.

I think we still need some of that pioneer spirit to solve the problems we face today.



Pioneer Spirit II
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright February 2013

Recently I talked about the Pioneer Spirit.
The contrast is today’s response—one minor hiccup and people are suing each other or running with their hands out for government help. John Stossel criticizes himself and the government. Being a famous and rich reporter he has a beach front home that has been damaged twice by hurricanes. Each time the government---that means you and me---have helped him rebuild his beach front, luxury, second home. This is crazy. Even Stossel admits this is crazy.
            I get it. We are not a society of lone rangers. We live in community. Our high-tech world is more complex and inter-dependent than the world of the 19 Century. But, I think that calls for more, not less, of the pioneer spirit that made this country great.

            The world makes fun of Americans being a bunch of cowboys. People vote with their feet. Have you noticed where people all over the world are migrating to? They are not migrating to China or Cuba. People all over the world want to come to the U. S., not because it is like home, but because it is different. Today’s immigrants still see the U. S. as the land of opportunity.

Four states.
Almost 1900 miles.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
but I have promises to keep."

Robert Frost

I could road a lot longer, but is was time to come home and go back to work.

I hope you all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment