Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fresh fruit season!

This has been a weed killing week. Once the weather dried off and warmed we got back in the field.
The corn may look short in this photo, but by the time we water it one more time and it dries out the corn will be too big to get the tractor in the field again. So this is our last chance to cultivate the weeds and form the furrows.


Now, people often ask why farmers use herbicides. Trust me, it is not because we want to. I am cheap and lazy. I would avoid the work if I could. But, when you have weeds you have to do something.

When you have weeds like this a hoe won't do. That is field bind weed, or perennial morning glory. It is a nasty little bugger with roots that can go down to eight feet. If you whack of the top it will just grow back. With Roundup we can kill the root.

Now we are careful, we don't just spray willy-nilly. In the picture below you can see our  hooded sprayer. We only spray over the pant where the cultivator can't cut the weeds out mechanically. By spraying a band on over the pant we can spray ounces where we used to have to spray gallons.


I don't know why the enviros get so crabby about genetic engineering. They fight us for decades to use less chemicals in our fields. We find a way to do it and they complain about that too. I guess some folks will never be satisfied.

 Well, there is more than work on the farm. I had dinner with some friends last night. Evelyn has been to Spain recently. She made paella and I brought fresh made Sangria. That was yummy. But, we have another treat for you this week.

Recipe of the Week-
Some of you think it is Spring and that is true. But, it is more than merely Spring, it is fresh fruit season. In our area fruit stands are springing up all over. I bought strawberries and the first peaches of the season. Yummmmmy.

Not that fresh fruit is boring in any way, but there is more than one way to eat fruit. I grilled some apples on the BBQ this week. That was fab-ulous. I got the recipe from a chef we met in Monterrey last week at the Rotary convention. This week's discovery was at least as tasty- fresh fruit margaritas!

I can't take the credit for it. I got the recipe from a friend, Moises.

Moises' Fresh Fruit Margaritas-

fill your blender with the fruit of your choice
[ I have used strawberries and peaches, works either way]

pour in a cup of tequila
[actually Moises uses vodka]

pour in some citrus to but the edge of the alcohol in the tequila
[Moises uses orange juice, I used triple sec]

put in half a dozen ice cubes and blend.

Pour and enjoy. Great on a warm afternoon.
I would think that should count as at least one serving of fresh fruit don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment