Monday, August 15, 2011

We're shaking my nuts,

that means it's harvest time! [What  were you thinking?]
The little brown flecks are the almonds being shaken to the ground.

The old joke is Al-monds on the tree and ah-monds when they are on the ground. Because they have had the 'L' shaken out of them. OK, corny, sometimes we get a little silly when we have been in the sun too long.

The nuts will lay on the ground for a week to dry out. Then they will be picked up and sent to the huller to be hulled and shelled. Then off to Blue Diamond for packaging. Remember, a can a week is all we ask.

Elsewhere on the farm-

We are starting our last irrigation in the cotton. We'll be done watering the end of the month.

The bugs got sprayed over the weekend. I hated the expense, but those bugs won't die by themselves. The crazy thing is the new generation of bug killers are softer on the environment, but they are much more expensive and don't last as long. I am left with this dilemma- do the right thing and pay through the nose, or go cheap. We do have good commodity prices this year. I hope it is enough to cover fuel, fertilizer and chemical prices. There is always something to worry about.

My radio work continues to go well. Last week the station posted MP3s of my pieces. You can find them at- http://www.940kyno.com/index.php?c=68
   I do appreciate the words of encouragement some of you have sent along. Radio is a different critter. It is hard to create a conversation when I am in the studio by myself. Glad to know some of you like it.
I hope y'all have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment