Sunday, November 6, 2011

Now the Demolition Derby Begins

We finished first pick on Tuesday. Not as good as it looked, but much better than last year.
We are second picking and following with ground work.
The first step is shredding the stalks. Then we have to loosen the roots and start discing.

   I told a few neighbors we had begun the Demolition Derby and they laughed. "Yeah, that pretty well describes it." said one neighbor. The reason I call this demolition derby is that we try to get this all done before the heavy winter rains set in. We have heavy clay soil and once it gets wet it can't be worked without causing compaction that will hurt next year's crop.  It is usually a race to get all the work done before we tear up all the equipment. We have time later in the winter to work on equipment, now is the time to "whoop and scoot."
   We deal with repairs like a NASCAR pit crew. We all gang up on it, fix it and send it back into the race. I admit, not all repairs are to factory specks. Sometimes we hokey joe things so they are good enough to finish the job. Again, we'll have plenty of time later to fix it up to look pretty too.

I wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to thank our Veterans and their families.
Here is the text for one of my radio pieces for this coming week.




Veterans’ Day- 2011
by Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright, October, 2011
We are approaching Thanksgiving Day in a few weeks. We have much to be thankful for and many to be thankful to.

I would like to start by thanking our Veterans and their families. Ladies and gentlemen as I grow older I have a deeper appreciation for what you have done, not only for our nation, but for me personally.

I have been fortunate enough to travel a little and I have read a bit of history. Through that I have gained a deep appreciation for what we have here. Warts and all we live in an amazing country at an amazing time. We truly live in the land of the free because of the brave. Thank you. If you would allow a civilian- I salute you all with the deepest respect.

I also want to say thank you to the families of our military and our veterans. Our son has served two tours in Afghanistan. Until he left on his first tour we never really understood what the families go through waiting, worrying and praying for our soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen while they are gone on a deployment. I want you to know how much I appreciate each one of you.

We really should be thankful every day, but in this season of Thanksgiving I want to give you a special measure of my deep thanks to you all.
I hope y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment