Sunday, February 19, 2012

Almost here...

Well, I didn't make it to the farm show after all. The rain delayed work and just when I was ready to go to the farm show on Thursday things got busy. It took three and a half hours to set up the satellite for a three hour job. That was frustrating. Then the fertilizer I had ordered fro Monday arrived. OK. We took the first lap and then the drive chain broke. Arrrrgh. Some days are like that on the farm. I hadn't had a like that for a few months so I guess I was over due.


As you can see bloom is beginning to start. Some of the early varieties are blooming. The orchards in the south end of the Valley are blooming also. It's a little warmer down there.
   The ten day forecast is clear for the moment. So, we won't bloom spray for now. No need. But, I will keep an eye one the forecast and one the sky.

Even though I didn't make it to the Farm Show I will share one of my memories from Farm Shows past. This piece has been running on the radio this past week.


Food at the Farm Show
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright February 2012

This may come as a surprise to you, but some farmers don’t go the farm show for the tractors and equipment displays. One year I went to the farm show with some neighbors who had to get there by 10am. When I asked why, they said 10 o’clock was time for coffee and cinnamon rolls. OK, that makes sense.
            They had the day mapped out for food. Coffee and cinnamon rolls at 10 am. Look at a few tractors. Then lunch.
            That was difficult because there are some great food booths. Local organizations run food booths at the farm show as fundraisers and let me tell you, those folks can cook. Personally I look for anything with linguica or lamb, but that’s me. There are great tri-tip sandwiches and chili beans. You know, maybe my neighbors are on to something… tractors come and go, but a good meal is something to remember.
            To top off the day we stopped off in Selma for pie and coffee on the way home. The best part? I did so much walking at the Farm Show that all those calories were not only tasty, but guilt free. So, if you make it to the farm show don’t forget, there is some seriously good food in those food booths- and you will be supporting a good cause.

You can find the recording at-


OK, I confess, I don't always go to the Farm Show to see the tractors.

I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment