Saturday, February 4, 2012

Seasonal Food

Another busy week on the farm. We have started watering the wheat again. As dry as this winter has been it does need water. The brush in the almond orchard is shredded and the acid has been applied to the field that will get planted to almonds next month.

Seasonal Food

By Paul H. Betancourt
February 2012

I wait all year long for the Naval Oranges to come in. Harvest starts in November but I wait until December when they are that much sweeter. Then it is fresh squeezed orange juice almost every morning until March. After that I really don’t drink much orange juice until the following December. There just is nothing like fresh squeezed orange juice and I am willing to wait.

We have gotten kind of spoiled that last thirty years or so. We are used to having everything available all the time. When I was a kid we had to wait all year for fresh strawberries in the Spring. Now we can get strawberries all year long. I think we have lost something in the process.

There are some foods I just eat at certain times of the year. For example, I eat a lot of soup in December, not so much in July. I eat a lot of salads in July, not so much in December. It’s kind of like Christmas baking. I only make fudge during the holidays.

It is said, ‘variety is the spice of life.’ Well, seasonal variety spices up my life.

I hope Y'all have a great week.
 
P

No comments:

Post a Comment