Saturday, March 24, 2012

Some Days Are Diamonds...

Yes, that's me when we used to run cattle up near Coalinga. I had  fewer miles and a lot less gray hair. [For the record the horse's name was Ben. We'll probably talk about him some time too. That was one stubborn horse.] This week's radio bit was about one morning's ride from those days.


Some Days Are Diamonds
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright February, 2012
                We used to run cattle out the other side of Coalinga. We road for five days gathering cows off ten thousand acres we leased so we could brand and doctor the calves. One morning I rode to the top of the far ridge. When I looked down I could see a red tail hawk circling below me. What a view!
There’s just something special an early morning when you are riding above where hawks are soaring. It was a cool Spring day, I was miles from anywhere, the sky was blue with white puffy clouds. It kind of made up for some of the other days on the farm. Some days on the farm are hot, dirty and stressful. I know you have days like that too.
There is an old John Denver song where he sang, “Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.” That is true on the farm and it is true in life. This was one of my diamond days. Working cattle is a hard way to make a living, but there are some priceless benefits.

You can hear the radio version of this story at-

I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment