Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Fathers' Day Y'all!

   Well, the heat is on. Summer is back in town, the...never mind.
When we first moved up here some of the old timers told me the cotton likes the heat. I found out years later cotton and I like the same temps. Cotton starts growing at 65F and shuts down at 95F. That sounds just about right. The cotton physiologically shuts down after 95, and so do I.

   First irrigation is applied. The fields look good. We will cultivate weeds this next week. Also, take care of things in the orchard. The wheat is ready to be cut. The harvesting crew said they would be here the end of the week. We'll see.

   In honor of Fathers' Day I am posting a radio script about a joke Dad and I shared. He's been gone a few years now and I still pick up the phone to call him when something comes up that I think would interest him. Then I remember I can't do that any more.




Talking with Dad
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright June 2012
                I wish I was half the Dad my Dad was. He always encouraged me no matter what I was doing. It didn’t stop when I grew up. He didn’t understand why I wanted to farm, but he always had an encouraging word. I would call on weekends to chat. One call I was whimpering and whining about something or another. He would pat me on the back from over three hundred miles away.
            One time I told him, “You know, this reminds me of a story. A guy was talking to his friend about how hard his work was at the circus. They were on the road all the time. He was always cleaning up after the elephants. When he was in the parade, he wasn’t in the parade, he was walking behind cleaning up after the elephants.
            His friend said, “If it’s so bad, why don’t you quit?”
            The first guy was shocked, “What? and get out of show business?”
Well, farming isn’t show business, but I hang around because I am proud of what I do, I enjoy the challenge and I am waiting to see what’s going  to happen next.

I hope Y'all have a great week!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment