Sunday, September 16, 2012

Living in the Country

Living in the Country has its down side. Generally we love living out on the ranch. Our guests are amazed by the peace and quiet and we treasure it. But a couple of days a year I am not so happy about living on the ranch. This was the view out the kitchen window the other day.
The almond sweepers were going through and they blew dust every where. It took half of Saturday to clean the roses, the trees, the patios, the windows and the cars. Uff da.
   It's my crop and it's how we make a living, but it is still a pain. But, the almonds are up and off to the processor. Some day, in the not too distant future we'll start get a check and we can start paying bills. That will be nice. Remember, farmers get paid once a year. That can be a little nerve wracking.

from the radio this week-


We Do This to Ourselves
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright July 2012

We tie ourselves I knots don't we?
Let's use Highway 99 as an example.

We all agree that 99 needs to get fixed up. That's going to cost some money. The best way to get it fixed is have it declared an Interstate, which it is functionally, then we could use federal highway money. But, apparently to qualify to get federal money we would have to fix 99 up first! Excuse me?
We need to spend state money to get federal money?
Don't they'll work for us?
I don't know about you, but when I pay my fuel tax I pay state and federal taxes. Can't our tax dollars be used on our roads? The situation on 99 would look like some kind of comic standoff if it wasn't so sad.

The real target is 99 is only one example of us tying ourselves in knots. In Arizona the federal government sued the State of Arizona for enforcing federal law. Really ? Environmental and safety rules often conflict each other and common sense? We tie ourselves up in knots.

The Founding Fathers believed in divided government because they feared the concentration of power like they had under King George III. But, divided government shouldn't be stupid government. And, there are times we are getting stupid government.


http://www.940kyno.com/index.php?c=68

In other news, I have signed with a publisher and my book on environmental issues should be out in December. I'll keep you posted.

I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment