Saturday, September 22, 2012

The View from My Office


Wildlife on the Farm
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright July 2012
                Our environmental friends say that the presence of wildlife is the sign of a healthy ecosystem. In that case my farm is doing OK. From my back patio I can see and hear rabbits, coyotes, squirrels, mourning doves and blue jays. At night owls screech and bats squeak overhead. One day I looked up from my desk and there was a Cooper’s Hawk perched on the wisteria outside my office door. A while back there an adult Bald Eagle spent a few days camped out in the orchard behind our home. We have also had tri-colored blackbirds, herons, egrets, Western Meadowlarks and white pelicans on the ranch. Our farms do not suffer the Silent Spring of Rachel Carson’s fears. In fact, I wouldn’t mind a little quieter Spring; the sparrows wake me up at first light and that gets earlier and earlier as summer progresses. And, I know Spring is here because those blasted mockingbirds will not shut up.
            I appreciate the concern of those who are worried about our wildlife. I know we should accept our responsibility as caretakers of this planet and that requires constant vigilance. But, I can report that on our farm the critters are doing fine. Maybe too fine, when the budgies wake me up ‘by the dawn’s early light.’
This was on the radio last week. You can find the audio on the link below.

I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment