Sunday, October 14, 2012

Almost Time to Pick Cotton

   As you can see, it's almost time to pick cotton. Another week and we'll fire up the beasts and start picking.  The equipment is almost ready. We are busy with all the last minute details. We'll finish repairs and servicing this week.

   It's been a strange weather week. It cooled down and there was even a little rain. It's warming back up.


Another Death of Common Sense Experience
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright October 2012
                In the interest of saving the environment I had to drive one of the ranch trucks an hour out of the way for a smog check. The reason for this was some computer in Sacramento said the shop where the truck had been tested multiple times before was not good enough this time.
            Can you understand why we get a little crabby about the nonsense that goes on out here?
On one hand the enviros want me to lower my carbon footprint by cutting back miles driven- then they make me drive an hour out of the way. Maybe in town there is a smog shop every other block, but that ain’t the way it is out here in the country. 
This is just another ‘death of common sense’ experience. I am all for clean air, just like the rest of you. I live here, I raised my family here. But, if we are going to do this-let’s do it right. Driving an hour out of the way for a smog test isn’t even close to doing it right.
For the record, the truck passed with flying colors.

There have been some changes at the radio station. We are now ESPN sports news, but they still want to hear from this farmer so you can find me at-


I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment