Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cotton Picking Has Begun!

We are off and running---like a heard of turtles.
   First day hiccups included an ignition switch that killed the picker on the road as we moved from one field to another. That was an hour and a half delay before we picked out first boll of cotton. Then there were the usual opening day disasters: a faulty power take off switch and air in the grease lines. But, we seem to have the kinks worked out---for the moment.
   Pictures can be deceiving. This cotton looks OK, but this field didn't even make two bales per acre. Not good. Fortunately, where we are picking now is doing much better.
   Of course, the next curve ball will be the weather. The first winter storm of the season is due the beginning of the week. Fortunately after that passes the weather man says things will clear up for a bit.

One of this week's radio bits is appropriate for this time of year-


The Loneliness of the Tractor Driver, Isn’t All That Bad
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright October 2012

                There was an old book about the loneliness of the long distance runner. There is a parallel in farming- the loneliness of the tractor driver. At least that used to be true. My first summer up here I spent on the back of a D-8 Caterpillar- no air conditioning, no radio, no cell phone- I just spent a lot of time with my self, out in the field. And there is nothing wrong with that. It was kind of cool. I had just graduated college and it gave me a lot of time to process things. I don’t know about you but being in school can be a lot like drinking from a fire hose because I am a slow learner. The air conditioner is a lot more comfortable, a radio can be entertaining, and today we have cell phones so we can stay in touch with everyone.
            But, there is something to be said for those long days sitting on the tractor just thinking. Of course, there is that old saying, “Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just thinks.” Life these days can get kinda busy. Sometimes sitting on a tractor working a field is a good way to spend a day and get a chance to unwind things. 


I hope Y'all have a fabulous week.

I'm off to pick some cotton.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment