Saturday, November 17, 2012

Wheat's in the Ground

Well it has been a busy week. We finished second picking. We got the stalks shredded and we got the new furrows pulled.
It may not be pretty, but we 'Gettin' 'er done.' The rain the end of the week slowed us down a little bit. But, we should still get it covered before Thanksgiving. Then we start the water and the whole cycle begins again.

I should probably take a picture of a lonely mail box for this, one of my radio pieces this week was on getting directions and it involved a mail box.


Country Directions
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright October 2012
            When we moved up here it cracked me up when someone would give me directions: “go down the road to Uncle Ed’s place, turn left at the green mail box and then right where the big tree used to be.” Seriously? How could I possibly know where the big tree used to be? Just give me an address and I’ll find it.
            Growing up in San Diego we used city boy directions- you got an address and then drove to the address. If you needed a map you got a map out- and there you are.
            The funny thing is- can you guess how I give directions now? Yeah, you got it right. I don’t know anyone’s address. But, if you go down the road to Uncle Ed’s place, turn left at the green mail box and right where the big tree used to be…
            There just aren’t enough street signs out here in the country. Even with maps and modern toys like GPS and smart phones, sometimes the best directions are to navigate by land marks. A long time ago Solomon said there was nothing new under the sun. Maybe he was on to something.


I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment