Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Recipes

Things are still busy on the farm. We are trying to get the wheat irrigated up so we can take time off for the holidays. We are also busy pruning the almonds.

Below is one of the radio pieces that will be running this week. As promised I am posting a few favorite family recipes.

Christmas Recipes
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyrights 2012
                Christmas is about faith and family. When our family gets together there are favorite foods on the table. I don’t know about your family, but there are foods we only make at Christmas time. My brother-in-law’s fudge is fabulous. The only improvement I could make was adding some famous Ficklin port wine. Of course there is hot, spiced cider.  My daughter, Heidi, is lactose intolerant, but she always asks for my Bleu cheese spread. Glogg is a spiced Swedish wine that is served hot and will warm you to your toes on a foggy winter night.
            When we visit family we get to enjoy old favorites. I’ll never forget Mom making Grandma’s Christmas cookies or Santa Lucia buns. Sheryl loves Danish abelskivers. Some how they all taste special at Christmas time.
            I’ll make you a deal- I will post some recipes on my blog. What I would love to see is if you will post any of your favorite Christmas recipes in the comment section of the blog. 

Gene's Fudge

1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 cups chocolate chips
     [Gene's preference is 2 cups semi-sweet and 1 cup milk chocolate]
pinch of salt
1 table spoon Vanilla

-Over a low burner mix milk and chips until chips are fully melted [careful not to burn.]
-Mix in salt and vanilla.
-Pour into wax paper lined square pan.
-Let sit for a couple of hours or over night
-Cut into bite sized pieces and enjoy
-Optional:prior to pouring onto wax paper mix in 1/4 cup of brandy. [Note this will lengthen the hardening time. Not for the kiddies.

Bleu Cheese Spread

4oz crumbled bleu cheese
8oz whipped cream cheese [or mascarpone cheese]
 2 TBS finely grated onion
 1TBS of Worcestershire sauce
 Dash of Tabasco sauce

Mix and let sit,
Preferably overnight

Serve on crackers

Glogg-(Warm Swedish Spiced Wine)

1.5l port wine
1/4 cup honey
2 sticks of cinnamon
8 cloves
2 pinches coriander

I look forward to reading some of your recipes.
Peace on Earth, Good Food for All!Merry Christmas Everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment