Saturday, April 20, 2013

"A Second Gold Rush"

   You can find beauty almost anywhere. I have been driving by these fertilizer tanks for years. I have thought about taking a picture of the shadow from the stairs, but it wasn't until this week I took the time to stop.

   Another busy week on the farm. We finally got the almonds at the house irrigated. The wind died down and we started the water. The trees seem to have appreciated it. They perked up almost immediately. I hate no-win decisions. I was stuck with; 1- water them and have the wind knock some down, or 2-don't water them knowing it would hurt the trees and the crop. I work hard to not get backed into corners like that.

   We got the tissue results back from the lab and the wheat is fine. We don't need to fertilize again. One more quick shot of water and we are done.

   We could 'row out' the cotton this week. I walked across the fields pulling soil samples and it was great to see the cotton coming up. It will be a long season, but we are off to a good start. The forecast is for warm weather and that will help the cotton grow.

A Second Gold Rush
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright January 2013
               At the Agriculturalist of the Year luncheon last November, Barry Kriebel, President of Sun Maid Growers, said that dried fruit was California’s “second gold rush.” You know, he’s on to something. Dried fruit isn’t as sexy and exciting as a good, old-fashioned gold, gold rush, but it was a great thing for all of us. On top of that it has lasted longer than California’s first gold rush. Farming is a renewable resource. We have been shipping dried fruit from the Valley, all over the world for over a hundred years now.
            I think dried fruit is another one of those things we take for granted because it’s all around us. I am a big fan. Golden raisins are my favorite. I put them in when I make granola. I love dried apricots. I first ate them when I would go hiking, now I’ll eat them anytime.
            I don’t know about your doctor, but mine wants me eating more fruits and vegetables. Dried fruit is just another way for me to chow down on the good things we grow here in the Valley. Barry Kreibel is right, dried fruit is a second- and yummy, gold rush.


I hope Y'all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment