Saturday, April 27, 2013

Getting Warm in Cotton Country, and That's OK!

...for the cotton.
   Our cotton seedlings are up and growing. The weather has been fabulous. As long as it stays under 95 it will be perfect ...for the cotton. The first true leaves started growing.
   We got the beds cultivated to keep the weeds down. This next week we will start fertilizing. The soil sample results came back and we shall fertilize accordingly.
   We have been putting the final irrigation on the wheat. I got the lab results back on the wheat tissues. They have plenty of nitrogen, so we don't have to have to add any more fertilizer. We'll finish watering the first field on Monday and start the final irrigation on the second field.

This is a neighbor's well. As things start warming up there will be a whole lot of irrigation going on.

   The almond leaf samples showed we are s little low on nitrogen and phosphorus in the almonds. We will spoon feed a little more fertilizer on with the next irrigation. There's always something going on.


It’s Not Just for Doctors, Nurses and Lawyers
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright February 2013
               You may be surprised to know there is continuing education for farmers.
            As a kid I was surprised to learn that our neighbor, who was a nurse, had to go to school. I didn’t know grownups had to go to school, I thought that was just for kids. [ Like most kids, part of me was wondering, will I ever get out of school?] Mom explained that there were always changes in medicine and nurses had to take classes to keep up and keep their licenses.
            When I started farming I found out there is continuing education for farmers too. To keep my applicators license I have to take so many hours of classes every year. In addition to required classes the Farm Advisers and the universities constantly offer classes, workshops and field days to report their latest findings and introduce the latest technologies.
            It’s pretty interesting. In one sense farming is an ancient profession- one of my main jobs is to stick seed in the ground like farmers have done for ten thousand years. But, farmers today also use computers, satellites and lasers every day.
            I need to keep going back to school to keep up on the latest innovations in an ancient profession.

I hope you all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment