Saturday, May 18, 2013

Good Cotton Growing Weather

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. This is the cotton this week. If you go to the post two weeks ago, you can see how much
it has been growing. The weather has been perfect for cotton, warm in the afternoon and not too cool at night. 
   We have fertilized the cotton and sprayed the weeds over the past week and a half. We are furrowing out so we can be ready for the first irrigation. We'll finish furrowing out this week. Then we will put up borders and ditches. Then we will lay out the pipes and wait for the right conditions to start water. The plants have to be ready and it cant' be too cool. If we water too early or too cool the plants will grow stalks instead of setting fruit. They might look pretty being tall and green, but I get paid for cotton bolls, not stalks.

   Spring is always a busy time of year. It reminds of this piece I wrote last winter.


Success is not a 9-5 Proposition
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright January 2013
               I know farmers aren’t the only ones to work long, hard hours. In fact long, hard hours seem to be one of the main ingredients for success.
            I sometimes see people who punch in late and leave early envying those who have stuff they want. They can’t seem to understand there is a connection with extra effort and the rewards of success.
            I couldn’t succeed in school if I was goofing off all the time, and that doesn’t work in the work world either. Sure, physicians make a lot of money, but they have to go through six or eight years of school—after college to get to that point.
            My point is, success is not a 9-5 proposition. There are no guarantees that hard work will pay off. I have seen a whole seasons work get washed away in one afternoon’s rainstorm. But, there is an old saying that luck seems to favor those who are prepared. There’s truth to that.
            If I tried to limit all my effort to an eight hour day I would never get anywhere.  Farming and life take everything we’ve got. 



I hope you all have a great week!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment