Saturday, May 4, 2013

Broken Nitrogen Cycle

   Well, we waited two days for an air conditioner hose, but when we got going, we got going. We are applying fertilizer to the cotton. [BTW-I wish the photo could show how great the cotton is doing. This warm weather has it popping.]
   We have also been irrigating almonds. We'll give them another spoonful of fertilizer next week. The lead samples show I have gotten a little behind and we want to keep them strong and healthy.
   We have also put the last irrigation on the oats. We should cut those in a few weeks.

   Watching the fertilizer rig in the field reminded me of one night in grad school-


Broken Nitrogen Cycle
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright May 2013

               I had a professor in grad school who is a self-described radical environmentalist. One night he got up on his soap box and preached away for three hours on the evils of pesticides and the big chemical companies. After wards I went up and chatted with him. I said, “You missed the point… I can fit all the pesticides and herbicides I use in the course of a year in the back of my truck. Some of that stuff costs $500/ gallon so we put it out with an eye dropper. Fertilizer, however, I buy by the truck load.” He asked why I didn’t mention that in class. I told him he hadn’t even taken a deep breath for three hours. How was I supposed to get a word in edgewise? He kind of hung his head a bit in agreement.
               After that we had a decent conversation about something that really matters, but rarely gets talked about. We have a broken nitrogen cycle. We make nitrogen fertilizers out of fossil fuels, use it once and then flush down the toilet. I told my prof that if he really wanted to do something useful for the environment he would figure a way to recycle some of that nitrogen. We would starve to death without modern fertilizers, but we have to find a way to close that nitrogen cycle. This is the kind of thing I mention in my book ‘Ten Reasons: Finding Balance on Environmental Issues,’ we need more bench science for problem solving and less lawsuits.
Anyone got any ideas?

I hope you all have a fabulous week.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment