Friday, August 30, 2013

Labor Day 2013- I Don't Understand the Term Unskilled Labor


Labor Day 2013-Skilled and Unskilled Work
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright May 2013
               I don’t know what they mean by ‘skilled’ and ‘unskilled labor’. I don’t know what they mean by ‘knowledge workers.’ Even hoeing weeds or irrigating on the farm takes skill. Even just working on a farm takes knowledge. And, as much respect I have for education as a school board member and a college instructor, there are just some things you cannot learn in the classroom;  some things you can only learn by experience.
               Of course I understand it takes a lot more time to learn eye surgery than it does to learn how to drive a fork lift. But, if you think anyone can drive a fork lift go and take some time at a packing shed and watch those guys in action. It takes skill to operate a forklift in tight spaces and on tight schedules.
               My point is even simple tasks benefit from skill and experience. They are worth learning to do well. In fact, if you can’t do simple things right I wonder if you can do the complex things well.

               So, as we head to Labor Day I want to honor all labor. Thank you all for the things you do to provide the goods and services we all enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment