Sunday, August 4, 2013

Seasonal Foods

Here you can see our grand kids Rowen and Persia helping me check the almonds. Harvest began a few weeks ahead of normal. We started picking them up this week, which is a week before we normal even start shaking. Now we wait for the weights to see how the crop is. 
While we are all enjoying those summer fruits and vegetables I was reminded about a radio bit I did a year and a half ago.

Seasonal Food
By Paul H. Betancourt
February 2012

            I wait all year long for the Naval Oranges to come in. Harvest starts in November but I wait until December when they are that much sweeter. Then it is fresh squeezed orange juice almost every morning until March. After that I really don’t drink much orange juice until the following December. There just is nothing like fresh squeezed orange juice and I am willing to wait.

          We have gotten kind of spoiled that last thirty years or so. We are used to having everything available all the time. When I was a kid we had to wait all year for fresh strawberries in the Spring. Now we can get strawberries all year long. I think we have lost something in the process.

          There are some foods I just eat at certain times of the year. For example, I eat a lot of soup in December, not so much in July. I eat a lot of salads in July, not so much in December.  It’s kind of like Christmas baking. I only make fudge during the holidays.


          It is said, ‘variety is the spice of life.’ Well, seasonal variety spices up my life.

I hope you all have a great week!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment