Sunday, January 25, 2015

Farmers and Paperwork





Farmers and Paperwork
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright August, 2011

            It is no secret that farmers hate paperwork. Do you know why? Because we make our living growing things, not filling out forms.

            Have you noticed we have this huge cadre of intelligent, educated people in this country whose job is to regulate the producers. I understand that we have to have regulations. But, do you see my point, we have some of our brightest and best who spend their days not helping us be productive, but actually slowing us down from what we do best- produce food and fiber for the rest of you.

            My favorite example was when I called to find a poster the state wanted me to post at our work site. The guy who answered the phone didn’t have one, couldn’t mail me one, but he wanted me to shut down the farm until we had his form posted. Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?


            I know we need regulations. But filling out forms is not an end in itself. Let me and my neighbors do what we do best – grow food.

No comments:

Post a Comment