Saturday, January 3, 2015

This Is Not Sustainable


It has gotten a little frosty this week in sunny California. I know, it's nothing compared to what folks Back East and in the Mid West are going through. But, winter is back in town.

This Is Not Sustainable
By Paul H. Betancourt
January 2015

            Looking at last year’s posts it seems pretty apparent to me that you all prefer my rants on policy and politics to my stories of life on the farm. Maybe one of the publishers I turned down was right after all.] Fair enough. I am still going to tell stories of life on the farm, but we will start this year with something I have been thinking about for a while.

            One of the driving principles of our environmental friends is “sustainability.” Of course there is no agreed on definition of sustainability. The general idea is that we should not do things that deprive future generations natural resources.
            Fair enough. I like the idea that we want to build for future generations. The Boy Scouts taught us to leave things better than we found them.
            That being said $17 Trillion dollars of national debt is not sustainable!!!

            When I teach about fiscal policy in my American Government class I put the national debt clock up on the wall. I mark the national debt at the beginning of class
and leave it running while we talk.
            They are shocked that the national debt at $17 Trillion is larger than the national economy, which is only $14 Trillion. They get bug eyed when I remind them that means if we tax everyone at 100% for a year we still would not pay off the national debt.
            Eventually some one asks, “what is their plan to pay this off?” When I tell them the plan is for them to graduate, get jobs, and start paying taxes, some will respond, “That’s not a very good plan.” I agree.

            As a farmer I have a fair amount of experience with debt. I have been in debt beyond my wildest dreams and it was no fun. There are two main problems with having such a huge national debt-

            1] We have to use money we could otherwise use for good things that now must be used to make interest payments for past spending. [Taking out a mortgage for an appreciating asset makes sense. Going into debt for something like a four star vacation does not.]

            2] We are kicking the debt can down the road to our kids and grandkids.  Even is we stop the horrible deficits right now, it will take decades to pay back the current debt.

            A friend who is a retired community college instructor brushed me off and said, “Don’t worry about the national debt. It’s not important.” Excuse me? Nations can collapse if they mismanage their finances. In this weeks news it was reported that even Greece and England are finally remembering how to tighten their fiscal belts.

Taxing Ourselves

            Years ago I took some heat for not supporting a local school bond. I agreed that we needed the new facilities. What I disagreed on was the method of taxation. The bond was going to essentially fall on the farmers as the largest property owners in the area, instead of the general public. The question in a self-governing society is not, “How much will we raise taxes on someone else?” In a self-governing society the question is- “How much am I willing to pay in support of this our that particular issue?”
                                             
This Is Not Sustainable

            One Irony in all of this is that as a candidate Barack Obama criticized President Bush for creating a $7 Trillion debt. You can find it on You Tube. Apparently I misunderstood. Judging from his actions as President, Obama seems to have meant Bush should have taken us further in debt. He’s gone further into debt than his predecessors ever dreamed of.


            If the idea of sustainability is important enough to drive other public policy we should consider it when looking at our public finances. The bottom lone is our level of national debt is unsustainable. Debt for an emergency or to buy appreciating assets is OK. But, multi-generational operating debt is not sustainable.


No comments:

Post a Comment