Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Beautiful Sight on the Farm

It is hard for me to tell you how good that looks to me. These are the almonds we planted behind our house last month. They are sprouting and they are gorgeous. These trees will be here for the next twenty years and they are off to a good start.


Spring is in the air. I noticed while walking with the dogs this morning that Herr Mocking Bird has settled into the back yard. I don't mind his endless chatter, except in the early morning. I also saw the first Tri-Colored Blackbirds in the wheat fields. I look forward to their visit more than the visit of Herr Mocking Bird. Unfortunately the Blackbirds will only be here until early summer. Herr Mocking Bird will be singing to us until nearly winter.

Elsewhere on the farm we have started working cotton beds. We could be planting in a month. The onions are in and we started the water. We are trying something new. Instead of using sprinklers we are trying to germinate the onions with the drip system. It could save even more water.

The wheat is about three weeks ahead of normal. That is good news, I guess. I pulled leaf samples to adjust fertilizer. The problem is how to decide what the results mean. If I read the results by the calendar date then we are high. If I read the results by the plant condition then we are about right on the nose.

I hope you all have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment