Monday, October 17, 2011

Almost ready for harvest

All the cotton harvesting equipment is ready. Repairs have been made and everything is serviced. The weather man is on our side. The forecast calls for sunny, warm days. The cotton is opening up nicely. So we wait. Like those old commercials- we will pick no cotton before its time.

Meanwhile we have some odds and ends to deal with around the ranch. The corn was harvested this past weekend. So, we will disc that field down. We will tidy up the orchard by mowing the centers and spraying the berms. One year I didn't get that done before harvest and the weeds were knee deep when we got back to the orchard to prune after harvest. It was a wet winter to boot, so we had a soggy mess. That was all the motivation I needed. We clean up now and when it comes to pruning time everything will be ready. [That reminds me, I should make sure the pruning saw blades are all sharpened. It never ends.]
No, the squash is not from our farm. But, it is a reminder that it is Fall. My favorite weather of the year. That is fortunate since this is the time of the year when I spend the most time outside.

Below is another one of my radio bits. It is an expression of one of those mysteries I have never been able to figure out.

Farmers and Enviros-

I have never understood why enviros are so crabby about farmers. We work in harmony with Nature. To survive as a farmer you have to understand the natural world and learn to work in harmony with the rhythms of nature.


Everyone’s got to eat. The only way this is going to happen is for us to find ways for us to produce food in an environmentally sound way. The end goal is a healthy economy and a healthy environment.


I teach my students “either/Or” is a logical fallacy and either a healthy environment or a healthy economy doesn’t work. We need to find a balance. That is why I am surprised the enviros are rarely helpful in basic research to grow food and care for the environment. They would rather lobby lawmakers and file lawsuits.


I would think there was a natural alliance between farmers and enviros. I have been trying to work with them for years. They seem stuck in the Either/Or fallacy. Hopefully some day they will get past whatever bugaboos they have so we can work together.

I hope y'all have a great week.
 
P

No comments:

Post a Comment