Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fall Colors

I am usually too busy with harvest to stop and see the Fall colors. Sure, we are not the Northeast with their fabulous Fall foliage. But, there is beauty here too. The weather has begun to cool and the trees around the Valley are changing color. I love Fall weather.

While the Fall colors of the landscape ornamentals are beautiful there is one color I have been looking for- white,

Fluffy white cotton bolls. This picture was taken last Monday. You can see there are still a lot of leaves on the plant. That is why we haven't picked this week. The plants have opened up a lot since Monday. It is really hard to not look every day. If I look every day I can't see the differences. But, if I skip a few days I can really see it. I'll post a picture next week.
  Defoliation has gone really well. We have rarely had Pima cotton open like this. The warm weather has been great in opening the crop. Now we just have to get it in.

We will start picking on Monday. The equipment is ready. The weather man is on our side.

We had all the equipment ready as of last Monday. Then late yesterday the grease tank on the picker cracked. A new tank is $900, so we were motivated to patch this one. Ruben had a heart attack when I told him the price of a new tank.

For those of you who worry I just wander around without supervision I want you to know I do have an inspector to keep an eye on me.

I hope y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment