Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall is in the Air

     Ahhh, Fall is in the air. It is still warm, but the summer heat has broken. I hope you are all enjoying it like I am. This is my favorite weather of the year.
     We are still busy in the shop getting equipment ready for harvest. We are also getting ready to put some fertilizer on the almonds. This helps with the growth of the new fruit wood for next year's crop and makes sure the trees have a little food when they come out of dormancy next Spring.

    It is also time for the Big Fresno Fair. Here's a little radio bit I did about the Fair.

An Unusual Sight at the Fair
     If you want to see something truly amazing when you go to the Big Fresno Fair take a peek inside the Ag building. Yeah, I know you have seen it before. Stacks and stacks of golden peaches, purple plums and sun kissed nectarines. Boxes of grapes of all types and colors. But, I invite you to see it with new eyes. We think this is normal. We grow three hundred different crops in Fresno County. Do you realize how unusual that is? It is truly amazing. There are very few places on earth that do what we do here. When you drive through Iowa or Kansas you see miles and miles of corn, or miles and miles of wheat.

     But, when you come to Fresno County you drive through grape vineyards, cotton fields, orange groves and dairies. We’ve got it all.

     And there in the Ag building, in one glimpse you can see it all, you can see what few people on earth see. So, when you go to the Big Fresno Fair I hope you have a great time. But, I also hope you take a peek inside the Ag building and remember how unusual that all is.

I hope y'all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment