Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bustin' Rocks

I don't know about you, but we have spent most of the week trying to bust rocks. We are preparing some ground to plant almonds next Spring. It has a strong hard pan layer. The rain leaches the minerals out of the top foot of soil and they seal up about a foot and a half down. Even though we ripped the ground two years ago, it was tough. Spent the week breaking ripper points and shear bolts. But, we got 'er done- for now.

We finished watering the first field of wheat. We'll finish the second field next week. We have never been done before Christmas. That feels good. The wheat is already sprouting. We have a long way to go, but we are off to a good start.

Joke of the Week-

I haven't done a joke of the week yet, but this is too funny. I wish I had it a few weeks ago when I wrote about why we continue to farm if it is such a tough way to make a living.

The Montana Department of Employment, Division of Labor Standards, claimed a small rancher was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent to investigate him.


GOV'T AGENT: I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them.
RANCHER:Well, there's my hired hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $200 a week plus free room and board.

   Then there's the mentally challenged guy. He works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here.
   He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board, and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night so he can cope with life.
   He also sleeps with my wife occasionally.

GOV'T AGENT:That's the guy I want to talk to - the mentally challenged one.

RANCHER:That would be me.

I don't know who wrote that. I wish I could give him or her credit.
Ya gotta laugh once in a while. It's good medicine.

I hope y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment