Saturday, December 3, 2011

Independence, Inter-dependence & Dependence

I like the idea of rugged individualism. I think it made America strong. But, I also know I am part of a huge system. I can use a tractor to grow a crop, but I can’t make a tractor. Farmers are proud of mastering multiple tasks like mechanics, welding, hydraulics, agronomy, marketing and bookkeeping. But, no matter how many tasks I master I can’t do it all. I count on other people to make it on the farm.

     Modern civilization is a large and complex system.
     We learn interdependence from biological systems.

I like the idea of rugged individualism, but I am also part of a much larger system and I am OK with that. Independence is good, it is the foundation of our political system. Inter-dependence is part of our complex, modern society. Dependence is what we want to avoid. Being dependent is not healthy.
[you can hear my other radio bits on 940KYNO, or see them on the KYNO website,
http://www.940kyno.com/index.php?c=68 ]

[No, that's not our farm. That is a farm in Germany last Fall. I enjoy seeing how the other guys do it.]
 
Meanwhile, back on the farm...
                    ...it's been another busy week- and windy too.
 
We would have been busy irrigating the wheat, but the irrigation district had to repair the lines. So we had to use the well. As frustrating as that is I appreciate the work they do keeping the system going.
We finished cleaning the equipment. We were also busy working cotton beds, spraying weeds and disking down the cornfield.
 
It got really busy last Thursday and it has gotten cold now. Winter is back in town.
 
We'll keep watering the wheat up. We'll try to get all the wheat watered before taking some time off for Christmas.
 
Hope y'all have a great week.
 
P
 

No comments:

Post a Comment