Saturday, January 21, 2012

It Got Cold This Week

It's been a while since we chipped ice while irrigating.
I know that isn't cold for some folks, but this is California.

Here's a little radio bit I did about the weather.

Heat and Cold on the Farm


By Paul H. Betancourt

Copyright November, 2011



I have been so hot my eyeballs sweat. Honestly, one time I bent over to work on some equipment and I got salt in my eyes.

I have been so cold that when we set sprinklers in a tomato field the sprinkler drops came down as snow. [That was a clue we should shut the whole thing down and go home.]

The world is just not set at a nice, comfortable 72F.

One of the perks of farming is I am not stuck in an office. But, on July afternoons- inside doesn’t sound too bad. The heat makes me appreciate modern life- air conditioning and ice cubes in the summer. I also appreciate a hot shower and a warm home on a cold winter’s night. I really appreciate the fact we have air conditioned tractors and pickups.

I haven’t figured out how to get paid for being up to my neck in a swimming pool on a summer afternoon. So I adapt. In the summer I try to get the hot and heavy work done in the morning when it is cooler. Heat and cold are part of the job, we adapt, innovate and overcome.

***
You can find more radio bits at
http://www.940kyno.com/index.php?c=68
 
I hope Y'all have a great week!
 
P

No comments:

Post a Comment