Sunday, January 29, 2012

After the Rain

Well we got some rain last weekend and they finished the levelling this week. We have let things dry out. This week we will disc the ground then prepare it to put acid down the tree row. That may sound a little risky, but the idea is to treat the alkali in the ground. We have done it before and it works well. We will let that acid settle in and then plant the trees the beginning of March.
   We have finished pre-irrigating the cotton ground and this week we will start watering the wheat.

We are still in the middle of the winter fog season.
Here's one of this week's radio bits-

Winter Meetings

By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright January 2012
I have mentioned earlier there is always something to do on the farm. I have also shared the notion that I earn my living growing food, not filling out paper work. One problem I have this time of year is that people who run meetings for a living found out that things get kind of slow on the farm this time of year. There’s no cotton in the ground. Usually we get some rain along the way. But, I gotta admit things are not as busy as they will get when things warm up.

I have shared with you how we try to use that time to get ahead of things by prepping equipment and what not. But, like I said, these guys who run meetings realized I am just not as rushed as I usually am- so, there are invitations to growers meetings, salesmen meetings, policy meetings, I am pretty sure there are meeting-meetings, but they get lost in the blizzard of emails.
Now, I will admit- not all these meetings are bad. Some are kind of interesting. But, again- I don’t get paid to go to meetings like some folks do. I get paid to grow things. At least, at the end of the year my banker never asks, “How many meetings have you been to?” Now that I think about it, there is a government agency that does ask how many meetings I go to, but that is another story. My banker asks if I grew enough crops to pay my bills. So, I have to pick and chose which meetings I go to. Some are very interesting and informative. Others are…well, I am sure you have been to those kind of meetings…

But, there is that part of me that wishes ‘they’ hadn’t figured out things slow down on the farm in the winter and would let me get some of things done around here that I know won’t get done once things warm up.

You can find more at- http://www.940kyno.com/index.php?c=68
 
I hope Y'all have a fabulous week.
 
P

No comments:

Post a Comment