Saturday, January 7, 2012

Back to Work on the Farm

Happy New Year Y'all!

Well, vacation is over. I gotta admit I wasn't really ready to get back to work. We had a great holiday. We enjoyed visiting the family, had some great food and got some rest. But, here is always something to do on the farm. So, this week...











...we got the ripper going. We are preparing some ground to replant almonds.
   Our ground is prone to forming a hard pan layer. We we ripped it last month and left it open to get some rain on it. OK, that idea didn't work so well since it didn't rain. But, we came back now and we are slip plowing under where the tree row will be.


I am not particularly fond of pictures of myself. But, I thought I would show you how deep we are running the slip plow. I am over six feet tall- so, you can see that shank is going pretty deep. The slip plow will break up the hard pan layer and mix it so thoroughly it will not be able to reform during the life of the almonds. That will give the almond roots a chance to grow deep and strong. Almonds have really weak roots and they will not push through if they meet any obstruction.

Next week we will disc the field back down. Then we have hired a contractor to laser level the field so the water will run uniformly down the field when we irrigate. There is a lot of work still to do before we plant those trees. I'll keep you posted.

Until then I thought I would share one of this week's radio bits.

My Pickup Tool Box

By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright January, 2012
My pick up tool box is a lot like your junk draw at home. Please don’t get me wrong, I have cool and useful tools to keep the equipment going. A lot of the work we do is out in the field and not in the shop. So, we need to carry wrenches and screw drives, baling wire and yes, a hammer and vise grips.

The reason my tool box is like your junk draw is I also have keys, rolls of tape and bits of things I am not even sure about any more. The problem is this- every time I clean out my tool box, without a doubt, within a week I will desperately need something I just threw out. It never fails. I gotta admit it kinda drives me crazy. I can either have a clean tool box or the things I need. Apparently I can’t have both. Is this some kind of law of the universe? So, I’ll leave the junk in there until I can’t stand it anymore. Then I’ll clean it out and take the consequences. Not only was Murphy and optimist, but apparently that busybody has time to tinker with my tool box.

http://www.940kyno.com/index.php?c=68

I hope Y'all have a great week.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment