Sunday, December 29, 2013

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice

I wait for December all year long- not just for Christmas. I am waiting for the navel oranges to come in.
   I love orange juice, but I don't drink it most of the year. I wait until December when the navel oranges get sweet and then it is fresh squeezed orange juice almost every day until March. Mmmmm. There is just nothing like it. 
   One of the treats of living in farm country in California is we have access an amazing assortment of fresh produce. Fresh oranges are at the top of my list. During the coldest and darkest days of winter I get to have a taste of sunshine, and my doctor even says it's good for me. What a deal!

2014 Projections
by Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright December 2013

If it doesn’t start raining soon, it is going to get lonely out in farm country next summer. But, rainfall is just part of the equation. Apparently we do not have the will to create a stable water supply.
            As I have mentioned before, I recently visited Israel for the first time. The Israelis have the will to get things done. Of course, they are essentially on a war footing. We need a similar sense of threat. We just do not realize how fragile our food system really is.

There are new regulations to restrict groundwater use. This is an old problem. That is why we built surface water supplies. First they took away our surface water, now they want to take away the groundwater. Where do they expect to get their food?
            We have one of the five Mediterranean growing areas in the world, but it will not grow anything unless we get serious and create a stable water supply.


       We still do not have a new Farm Bill. The federal Farm Bill is supposed to guide our agricultural policy. I don’t know why we even call it a Farm Bill any more. Food advocates get more grants than farmers do. The budget for food stamps dwarfs money available for farm programs. And ‘they’ still cannot pass the bill.

OK, I'll agree those are rather gloomy projections. Maybe I need some more orange juice.

I wish you all Happiest of New Year celebrations and prosperity in the new year.

P

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Nothing beats freshly squeezed juice that is free from preservatives and with all its nutrition intact. The perfect substitute for any soda, and a real good friend in summertime.

    Chad @ Fresh and Healthy Brands

    ReplyDelete