Saturday, December 7, 2013

Wheat Sprouts

It's been cold this week.
How cold was it?
It's so cold the UPS man was wearing long pants.

   I know you folks who have real winters are used to this. But, no matter how you slice it 24F is cold.
For our crops it is no problem. But, this has been a long week for the citrus guys. The navel oranges are just getting good. I look forward to this all year long. There is nothing like fresh squeezed orange juice. Now the whole crop is at risk with this cold spell. Citrus growers are up each night running water and wind machines to keep the damage to a minimum. I wish them well.

   Below is a picture of our wheat sprouting in the field. It's coming along.
Can you see that white stuff in the foreground? That is salt. This is why we need surface water. We are irrigating with well water because our surface water is cut back. Well water is only a temporary fix. It's an emergency supply to get by.
   It sure would help to get some serious rainfall to wash these salts down into the soil.
For those who think drip irrigation is the solution- drip is awesome for trees, vines an specialty crops. It is really hard to use drip on wheat. And guess what- we need a lot of grain like wheat. Remember, bread was the staff of life to the ancients. Man does not live on organic Belgian endive alone.

On the lighter side-

Coffee Shops
By Paul H. Betancourt
Copyright December 2013

            Farmers are known for hanging out at the coffee shop. I can set my watch by some of my neighbors. If I drive by thinking it is four o’clock and they are not there, I need to check my watch.
            It is easy to think these guys are goofing off, and here is a lot of that going on. There is a lot of gossip and sports stories going on in a coffee shop. But, I have also learned a lot listening to these guys. Not just about farming.  Have even gotten good doctor recommendations from my neighbors. Once again, you can learn a lot by listening.
            There is also some deep community in the coffee shop. I know one group that graduated high school together forty years ago and still meet nearly every morning for coffee.

            In the daily rush to keep the farm going I only drop by once a week or so, but it is usually enlightening.

I hope Y'all have a great week. Stay Warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment